Wednesday, August 23, 2006

quitter, part 1

God help me, I am a quitter.

i quit the nursing program at Union because i wasn't sure it was what i really wanted to do. or was i just afraid that it would be too difficult and i would fail?

more recently i had planned to go back to school for my doctorate of physical therapy, but before i even started i changed to nursing because it would be quicker and less expensive. or did i think the physical therapy program would be too challenging?

i started my new job this week as a cna. i'm still in orientation and i want to quit already--not only my cna job but also the nursing program, which i'm not even officially accepted into yet. i'm not afraid that i'll be a bad cna; i want to quit because i know i won't like it and i'm afraid i won't like nursing. i just want a job where i can hide away and work by myself. accounting, maybe?

earlier this summer i considered switching my focus to accounting. i figured it would be a cut and dry field--you put the numbers in one end and they come out the other. when i told my brother that he countered my theory, saying that there was a lot of independent and creative thinking involved. oh well, maybe it's not for me, i said. at that time i also told my friend mike (atwork) about my consideration and he wisely replied, "yeah, when there's not a strong pull in one direction it doesn't take much to swing the compass." that's the story of my life.

and i'm tired of it.

to be continued . . .

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

of course many of you remember a previous post on quitting, with a capital K. it's a sad history, friends.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

maybe it's not really quitting, just not finding what you really want to do.

librarian? lots of books and quiet corners and anonymous interaction.

but i will be quiet.

you are married to a good man, and that, my sister, you have not quit. you are a dedicated finger on my hand, and that, my sister, you have not quit. you are a wonderful sister, and that, my sister, you cannot quit. in the course of a lifetime, jobs may not matter, but love does.

i don't think you're a quitter.

you're a seeker.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer LeAnn said...

I like Angela's analysis. A seeker.

You're not alone.

Would you consider dentistry? Think about it. Well respected position. Doctor salary. 9-5. 4 day weeks. If you don't want to talk to your patients - they would actually appreciate your lack of conversation.

Dental school is only 4 years. No residency. Orthodontics is a year or two more. I figure those with yucky teeth - they don't often go to the dentist anyway.

I don't know about Iowa - but ND has a two month waiting list and Minot doesn't have a dentist who takes new patients at this point.

Something worth looking into.
I love you Amy.
Quit all you need but don't give up.

3:52 AM  
Blogger kayla said...

hey a-dawg....i understand that feeling. and i, too, have done the same thing several times..just recently, i accepted a job and quit it the next day.

we are NOT QUITTERS!! we are simply people who are looking for the right job that we will be happy with. sometimes it just takes a long time to find the right thing....*sigh.* i agree with angela, you are a dedicated wife, daughter, friend, sister, and member of the sisterhood.

you are not a quitter, and I, k-pup, do swear so thusly :)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Verily I do agree with the consensus reached here.

I appreciate your friendship, Amy.

And you have given me more knowledge of the garden than anyone else, ever before. That's something you haven't quit.

And I'm sorry I quit my blog. When first I saw your post title I assumed that you were talking about me and my recent quitting of the blog. Which of course you weren't. And my assumption that you were only goes to show that I feel a bit guilty and perhaps maybe miss the blogdom on some levels.

And I apologize for not having replied as of yet to your e-mail. I will do so, soon hopefully.

Much love for you.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

and the blogdom misses you, ben yancer.

there are so many people to miss these days.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

i love every one of you. and i appreciate the encouragement. i had a long cry to my mother after i wrote the blog and she helped me by listening as well. she also thinks that i should not be a nurse.

the future is still unclear, but until "quitter, part 2" i will remain, as always,

a seeker.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Dear Speaker,

I know what you need, Stinker. You just need to read Po Branson's book on people and jobs and wearing hats. You're a Squeeker with a personal and public quest.

Your future may not be as a Streaker, but Charissa thinks you might have a future as a Spelunker.

Just kidding about the book, Tweaker.

I wish I would have quit more things in my life. Really. But this isn't about me, is it, Peaker?

God is with you because in the end, you're a Seeker.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola amy-doll...

kudos onthe bloody searching... i feel your frickin pain... while i do sorta what i want to, i am still looking for a ways to DO just what i want to do.(sigh)ANYways... i thinkt he fact that you can is pretty damn sweet!!! maybe you be farmer's wife entrepreneur (sp) and sell that home ade stuff.. ok b4 i misspelkl anything else.. i am foing... lovr klara

2:07 AM  
Blogger kayla said...

si, mi amiga. keep on seeking!! it is frustrating to be in the throws of not-knowing-ness. but if anyone can get through the "bloody searching" you can :) i love you!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home